Hello Guest!

Dead Chassis Battery - Momentary Switch?

• 10 Replies

bftownes

• View Profile
    • The Road Goes on Forever and the Party Never Ends
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: September 27, 2018
  • Model: 3100
  • ModelYear: 2019
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Desert Sand
  • ExtColor: Toast
Dead Chassis Battery - Momentary Switch?
« on: January 24, 2019, 10:43:49 pm »
What an idiot.  After leveling my PC I didn't turn the ignition off.  I realized it when I hit the lock button on the key fob and nothing happened.  So for the last few hours, and while watching "Castaway" with Tom Hanks, I have been thinking about tomorrow and getting jumper cables or calling Coach-Net. 

Then it hit me about the button near the steering wheel.  I remember that it is a switch that you press once and it should trickle charge the battery from the coach batteries, this is very clear in the PC owner's manual.  Now....did I read that the procedure has changed and is now a momentary switch, like I had on my DP?

So, on my 2019 3100, do I depress the button once and wait 1 to 2 hours for a trickle charge or do I depress it, hold it down and then attempt the start?  I'm not in an experimenting mood! 

Thanks and Cheers  :)(:

Barry T

Volkemon

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: October 31, 2017
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2006
  • IntColor: Light Maple
  • ExtColor: White
Re: Dead Chassis Battery - Momentary Switch?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2019, 06:25:50 am »
Well... hope a new day has you in an experimenting mood. Or Coach Net was called. ('AAA Premier RV' card holder here  :-D )

RE: "" I remember that it is a switch that you press once and it should trickle charge the battery from the coach batteries, this is very clear in the PC owner's manual.  ""

Well.. if that is the case, then it should be so. To verify, IF you are on shore power, then the coach batteries should have a good state of charge and can charge the start battery. If not on shore power, maybe start the generator first.  ;)   Next turn on the headlights. With a dead/low start battery they should be weak. Then pressing the momentary switch, the additional house battery power should cause the headlights to brighten up, indicating that the batteries have connected, and are supplying current to the start battery.

If the lights dim again when you release the switch, that would indicate that it is a 'boost' and not a 'stay on and charge' function.

After determining what the momentary switch does, turn off the headlights and proceed accordingly.

Hope this helped!  2o2 
""You want to save money on travel, drive a Prius and stay at motel 6""  Forum Member Joseph

WORD.

Sarz272000

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: August 2018
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2010
  • IntColor: Gray
  • ExtColor: Gray
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2019, 07:38:01 am »
Be leery to attempt to keep the switch closed while trying to start the vehicle because the wire size may not be large enough and cause undesirable consequences.  Caution always wins until you are sure. Jumper cables may be the answer until you are sure.

For the future, you may want to install Trik-L-Start. I plan to look at it when the weather breaks.

https://forum.phoenixusarv.com/index.php?topic=3455.0

Ron

bftownes

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2019, 09:00:45 am »
Well, problem solved, kinda.  I was looking forward to experimenting with the "white switch" this morning.  As a back-up, I saw my neighbor out and asked him if he had any jumper cables.  He said "I have something better" and proceeds to break-out this jump starting device.  Since he was so nice, and a fellow Tennessean, I didn't want to stop him.  He hooked up the device and the engine fired right up.   The only issue I have is, I still don't know if and how the "white switch" works.  Better yet, I will not leave the ignition switch on again.   I will call PCUSA later today and get verificationl

THANKS for your replies!

Cheers! (coffee)

Barry T

Sarz272000

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2019, 09:16:19 am »
Good for you. Please post what you find out. Those jumper batteries are handy. Might need one of them too!

Ron

bftownes

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2019, 09:49:38 am »
Good for you. Please post what you find out. Those jumper batteries are handy. Might need one of them too!

Ron

The device was a Stanley.  Also had a flashlight, USB port, air compressor and other stuff.  Cranked my engine after a couple of seconds delay.  However, the reviews are horrible.  Since I tow a toad, I think I will carry a set of jumper cables.  Again, it was my fault for leaving the ignition switch on for over 24 hours.  I usually remove the key to avoid this.  I am still familiarizing myself with the levelers and failed to turn off the key when leveled.

Barry T

Sarz272000

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2019, 11:18:01 am »
You might consider the Trik-L-Start. From what I read it will charge truck battery when hooked up to shore power. It could save ones battery from going dead or eliminate having to disconnect the truck battery if you are staying for extended times.

Ron

jimmer

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 5 / 2016
  • Model: 2700
  • ModelYear: 2006
  • IntColor: BLUE/OFF WHITE/MAPLE
  • ExtColor: WHITE OVER BLUE
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2019, 07:23:55 pm »
Having had a similar experience with lowering the jacks and then forgetting to turn off the ignition, I took the forum advice of  Ron D. and bought a 25 foot jumper cables  that i keep on board now.    If another vehicle to jump from isn't
available,  I can hook them up to my house battery and jump from that.   

Also, I now operate the jacks with the engine running on the advice of someone else who  said  it lessens the drain on the engine battery during jack use,  and  pretty much eliminates the chance you'll leave the ignition on by mistake again.

Hope this helps !

Jim

jatrax

• John and Carrie
    • View Profile
    • Zigzag Mountain Art
  • PurchDate: November 2016
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2017
  • IntColor: Graystone
  • ExtColor: Graystone
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2019, 12:21:06 pm »
I also learned the hard way to carry a set of 25' jumper cables :).  It's not like we don't carry around lots of power sources, you just need a way to connect them.

The 'white switch' to connect the house batteries has changed in function over the years.  On my 2017 it activates a solenoid that connects the house batteries to the truck battery.  This is a trickle charge type of system.  it's a small wire and is fused at (I think) 5 amps.  So trying to start the truck right away is just going to blow the fuse.  Don't ask how I know that.  So turn on the key, hit the white switch and wait a bit before starting.
On older models I was told you had to hold the switch in.

I also have a : NOCO Genius jumper battery that has proven itself several times.  Hard to believe it will start the truck as small as it is but it works.  It also has USB ports to charge your cell phone or whatever.  Highly recommended.

bftownes

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2019, 12:35:28 pm »
I also learned the hard way to carry a set of 25' jumper cables :).  It's not like we don't carry around lots of power sources, you just need a way to connect them.

The 'white switch' to connect the house batteries has changed in function over the years.  On my 2017 it activates a solenoid that connects the house batteries to the truck battery.  This is a trickle charge type of system.  it's a small wire and is fused at (I think) 5 amps.  So trying to start the truck right away is just going to blow the fuse.  Don't ask how I know that.  So turn on the key, hit the white switch and wait a bit before starting.
On older models I was told you had to hold the switch in.

I also have a : NOCO Genius jumper battery that has proven itself several times.  Hard to believe it will start the truck as small as it is but it works.  It also has USB ports to charge your cell phone or whatever.  Highly recommended.

Thanks, John and all of you who have responded.  Yesterday, I sent an email to Dave Ponsler about the humming transfer switch (another posting here).  He is very responsive and suggested an option to fix it.  I TOTALLY DID NOT think to ask him about the magic "white switch". 

When researching the emergency jump start devices, I seem to recall the NOCO.  As I previously mentioned, the Stanley that my campground neighbor used (with much success) has received many bad reviews...won't hold charge, etc.

I have always been totally prepared, but since downsizing to my PC, I find myself without a few essentials.  I will fix that when I return home.

BTW, we have been traveling in our 3100 since November and we have adjusted to smaller quarters and the PC has performed great.  I am very happy with it and the response from the Mother Ship when needed.

Oh, I gotta add that Interstate 10 through east Texas and Louisiana is still horrible.  Was the first time I wish I had added Liquid Springs.  I will avoid it at all costs!!

Cheers  :)(:

Barry T

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2019, 07:47:57 pm »
I personally wished I didn't have that momentary switch located on the dash board down near the driver's left knee because I would never use it.  I much prefer my jumper cables connected between house and chassis batteries.  If I need more jump-start amperage, I power my independent battery charger (with a jump-start feature) with the generator.  I had to resort to that many years ago when our first chassis battery fell terribly ill during a road trip attending an out of state funeral.

In my case, having wiring for a momentary switch that I would never use just adds unnecessary complexity.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 07:50:00 pm by Ron Dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer