• NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: January 4, 2018
  • Model: 2400 Ford
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: toast
  • ExtColor: nightscape
Lockable Doors
« on: July 03, 2018, 06:44:09 pm »
Outside sprayer, water valve, gas fill, and water fill doors all need a key to open, why? I'm done cleaning fish at the fish house, my hands are a slimy mess, I want to wash my hands using the outside shower, but first I have to get my keys out of my pants pocket to unlock the door, what a mess. Can these lockable doors be replaced with wing nut turn style latches?

Lynn

jatrax

• John and Carrie
    • View Profile
    • Zigzag Mountain Art
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • PurchDate: November 2016
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2017
  • IntColor: Graystone
  • ExtColor: Graystone
Re: Lockable Doors
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2018, 07:04:16 pm »
I don't see why not.  The lock is just a simple cam lock.

Actually a quick search and I found this page:  http://www.rvpartscountry.com/RvCompartmentBaggageLocksLatches

I may just get some of these.

Of course the reason to have the locks is so that people do not mess with things, especially the gas fill but if that's not an issue then no reason why not.

rvrunner

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: January 4, 2018
  • Model: 2400 Ford
  • IntColor: toast
  • ExtColor: nightscape
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2018, 07:47:29 pm »
Thanks Jatrax. Is replacing the latches simply a push out the lockable latches and press in the replacement latches?

Lynn

jatrax

• John and Carrie
    • View Profile
    • Zigzag Mountain Art
  • PurchDate: November 2016
  • IntColor: Graystone
  • ExtColor: Graystone
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2018, 08:37:46 pm »
Lynn,

I would have to look to be sure but I've used similar locks on furniture projects.  There is just a lock nut on the inside that you remove and then the lock just pushes out. 

Ooops, I just looked and I'm wrong there is no lock nut, they just push in and have two barbs on the inside that hold the lock.  I think if you push the barbs in it should just push back out.  But the locks I linked to above will use the lock nut to hold them in.  Might or might not work because of the barrel length and cam length.

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2018, 09:06:31 pm »
Hi Lynn,

I would call the factory and ask them if they have thumb latches available for those doors.  I believe the locks are held in with a 2-prong spring clip.  You grab the dark steel tab with a pliers and carefully pull the clip out sideways.
The spring clip resembles this.

I got tired of handling so many different keys with our PC, primarily a challenge in the dark.  I got it down to three.  One for the Ford ignition & van doors, one rectangular key for the main entry door & dead bolt, and one round key for everything else including the spare tire cover.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 08:30:25 am by Ron Dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

Volkemon

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: October 31, 2017
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2006
  • IntColor: Light Maple
  • ExtColor: White
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2018, 11:02:23 am »
Outside sprayer, water valve, gas fill, and water fill doors all need a key to open, why?

Lynn

From the link below   (May 21, 2017, I obviously own a RV now. And one of the first things I put on was a lock for the LP gas door. :) 

If/when I get an RV, the LP gas door will lock. I would advise this to current RV owners. Not sure why this one did not, every other hatch had a lock.
AND I will have alarms on the hatches, so I know if one is open. Handy to know for when you are going down the road, and possibly a lifesaver when some molly-head f***s with your camper.

Complete story - http://waneefestival.com/wanee-forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13550&start=9

Had the helpful girl at the RV center that fills our LP tell me no locks are ever supplied on LP doors... if there is a good reason for that I would be open to hearing it.

I still have to put the alarm on the cargo doors... I really should. I think the water fill, gas and outside shower are OK just locked.

TWICE  >(  I have forgotten to close the mammoth side cargo hatch. Saw it flapping in the mirror both times. The first time after dumping cargo on the road.... Learning curve.  (WH)
""You want to save money on travel, drive a Prius and stay at motel 6""  Forum Member Joseph

WORD.

gandalf42

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: May.2017
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Hickory/Graystone
  • ExtColor: 2 Tone Graystone/Nightshade
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2018, 03:58:27 pm »
The idea is if there is a fire in the RV someone can run out and turn off the propane without having to find someone with keys.

Its pretty hard to steal the propane so not a good reason to lock it up. Plenty of reason to lock you gas cap area. I spoke to one person that had just bought a new RV and their tank was syphoned on the way back home.

Mike & Pat Astley,

Cropduster

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: 05/2015
  • Model: 2100
  • ModelYear: 2002
  • IntColor: Brown
  • ExtColor: Brown
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2018, 05:52:47 pm »
GANDALF42,

Interestingly enough, in our 2002 PC 2100 the only compartment which is not locked is the LP one.  Unfortunately, a sign of the times is that other access needs to be locked.