• PurchDate: 3/20
  • Model: 2351
  • ModelYear: 2020 2351D
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Greystone
  • ExtColor: Jack Doub Grey/Greystone
Spastic Kitchen Faucet
« on: June 15, 2018, 11:15:13 am »
I'm truly perplexed. On our last three week trip in our 2100 the kitchen faucet refused to turn off. twice. No matter how you turned, twisted or pushed it would not stop running. I don't mean dripping, but running. The faucet is a Moen single lever with a pull out sprayed. We love the design and the features of the faucet, but it's spastic. When it is in one of it's moods the only thing you can do is turn off the pump, not on city water. With the pump turned off, take a break then twist, turn, push and pull the faucet a couple of time in every imaginable way, another break. and then turn the water pump on with the faucet in the on position and gently lower the handle to the right and down. It stops!  A week or so later, same thing. Follow the same procedure and it will shut off.
Any one ever experience such a thing? Called Phoenix and talked to Carol, who in essence said, "I know nothing, but will ask about for you.
Should I have the faucet replaced? Is this typical of this model? It's working fine now like nothing was ever wrong. Our 2100 isn't even 1 1/2 years old and we have a trip this coming Sept. Decisions, decisions.
Jack is what we call our PC 2351D, and he has taken us from campers to RV'ers and loving it. We're no longer Team Bob. Just Jack the RV!

TheLuvShack

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: October 2016
  • Model: 3100
  • ModelYear: 2012
Re: Spastic Kitchen Faucet
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 01:34:42 pm »
Never had that happen. Search the internet and try to find a match to get a model #. Then call Moen and they will help you troubleshoot.

ron-n-toni

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: 8/3/2017
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2017
  • IntColor: toast
  • ExtColor: toast
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 05:31:54 pm »
Moan faucets have a cartridge with o'rings etc. They are expensive to replace' about 60-70 bucks. The easiest way out of this problems is just go to Lowes or Home Depot, find a unit that you like and swap it out. May cost you a little more than replacing the cartridge, but no more problems and searching the internet and disassembly and rebuilding the faucet. IMHO

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 08:55:42 pm »
That is surely a strange thing.  I never heard of it before on any faucet in a PC, another RV, or brick & mortar house.  If you decide to replace your faucet, my experience below might apply.

In our 11 year old PC-2350, I removed our kitchen faucet to replace the cold water line to it.  I had damaged one of the two white plastic pipes (shown below) accidentally nicking the line with a saw blade during my galley base cabinet reconfiguration project.

I also replaced the ultra-cheap white plastic bathroom faucet Phoenix installed back in the day, the sibling to the outside shower faucet.

In both cases, the water connections utilize large plastic tri-wing nuts which are hand-tighten only.  The kitchen faucet is difficult to remove because it is too confining of a work area, and the work area is high in the cabinet.  The hot and cold water lines are so close to each other that the wing nuts interfere with the adjacent pipe.  The bathroom sink faucet was done in a snap with no tools required because the lines are far apart along with such easy access.  Anyone can replace a bathroom faucet in minutes in the parking lot of the store you bought it at.

I took this picture during the kitchen project.  It was not possible to turn those white plastic tri-wing nuts while inside the cabinet.  When Phoenix installs the kitchen faucet, they first spread the copper pipes apart, attach the plastic pipe extensions as shown, squeeze them back together as shown, then mount the faucet to the counter top.  Afterward they connect the other ends to the house pipes.  I ended up doing the same.  I was not able to spread apart the lines via bending the copper while inside the cabinet because the other ends connected to the house prevented me from doing so.  But maybe I didn't try hard enough given my uncertainty of what I was dealing with.  At the time, I was replacing one of the extensions anyway so I just disconnected both.  If replacing the faucet today, I would try my hardest to bend the copper lines while inside the cabinet to disconnect the plumbing.  I would also try to find a replacement faucet with the hot and cold fittings far apart, utilizing the other two holes in the counter top.  But for most new PC owners, you have the nicer modern faucet with no escutcheon plate which assures you will have this same challenge.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 09:37:53 pm by Ron Dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

Free2RV

• Gary and Susie
    • View Profile
  • PurchDate: P.U. 6/11/18
  • Model: 3100
  • ModelYear: 2018
  • IntColor: Nightscape (Cherry)
  • ExtColor: Graystone (FBP)
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2018, 05:49:34 am »
We have not had a problem with the Moen faucet in our PC, but we had a similar problem with the kitchen faucet in our house.  Took it apart and found a small strip of solder had become wedged between the faucet's cartridge o-ring and the faucet body.  It would cause the faucet to drip sometimes and not shut off other times.  We replaced the cartridge and the problem was solved.
Gary

2 Frazzled

• View Profile
    • Spirit of the Woods
  • PurchDate: May 2013
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2013
  • IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
  • ExtColor: Sunlit
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2018, 06:13:35 am »
I've been told Moen has an outstanding warranty/guarantee. I'd call their customer service and see if they'll replace the faucet.
John, Holly, and sometimes Chloe.
Travel Blog: Spiritofthewoods.net