• PurchDate: December 20, 2016
  • Model: 2400 Sprinter
  • ModelYear: 2012 PC 2400 Sprinter
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Cherry
  • ExtColor: Rust
Surge protector
« on: March 02, 2017, 04:59:30 pm »
 ;) OK anyone just starting their RV experience...do not overlook investing in a surge protector.  After making our way to Ft. Boonesboro SP in Kentucky yesterday without any more repairs, this morning pur power goes out.  pyho  However, the power was still on at the pedestal...but our wonderful surge protector had shut it off coming into Fawkes because the voltage had dropped by half due to a defective breaker in the pedestal. This saved possible damage to our laptops and Fawkes' electrical
system.  We have always used a surge protector in all our years of rving, and this was the third of forth time we came off winners.  2o2. Just sayin'...   :)(:

PS: Our luck has changed! Another PC just pulled in down the way...looks like a 2350.  Too far for this cripple to walk, and my "cripple cart" (thanks Larry The Cable Guy) is packed away on our hitch cargo carrier. Oh well...I have a GoFundMe thing set up to see if I can raise enough to buy a TravelScoot that folds up small enough to put.between the driver & passenger seats. Then I can go visiting  (cheer)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 05:39:52 pm by Two Hams in a Can »
Jeff and Suzanne traveling with the Cocker Spaniel sisters, Scout & Sydney in Fawkes the Phoenix 
"What happens in vagueness stays in vagueness"

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
Re: Surge protector
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 08:12:30 pm »
Would you please provide a link to the surge protector you recommend?  I really should buy one.
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

fandj

• View Profile
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2016
  • IntColor: Graystone
  • ExtColor: Nightscape - full body
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 05:24:57 am »
I installed the Progressive Industries HW30C unit.  It is installed to monitor either generator or shore power whichever is being used at the time.  There is a pedestal mount version available that does not require internal installation thus it has the advantage it can be easily used on another camper but it has the disadvantage it is somewhat difficult to secure to prevent theft.

This is a photo of the display at the entrance door.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 09:00:06 am by fandj »

2 Frazzled

• View Profile
    • Spirit of the Woods
  • PurchDate: May 2013
  • ModelYear: 2013
  • IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
  • ExtColor: Sunlit
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 07:38:07 am »
We also use the Progressive Industries - NOT hardwired in. It's been awhile so you'll want to do your own comparisons but, at the time, it was the only one that advertised the ability to swap out parts. I read somewhere on the forum that someone had a part damaged, bought the replacement and made the swap with ease. It beats paying for a whole new device.

We have a steel cable with loops at each end and a small letter combination lock. We can sometimes close the electrical post cover and secure the device with just the lock but other times we try wrapping and locking with the cable. Don't tell anyone, but we've been known to "secure" it with the cable so it looks like you can't lift it off when in actuality, you can. Some posts don't have anything to secure it to so we try to make it look good.

If someone is intent on stealing things, they'll get them. Our security is for the impulse thief that sees an unsecured item they'd like to own, no one around, and away it goes. If they come with bolt cutters in hand, it's going with them.
John, Holly, and sometimes Chloe.
Travel Blog: Spiritofthewoods.net

keelhauler

• View Profile
    • Our RV Page
  • PurchDate: 05/2012
  • ModelYear: 2012
  • IntColor: Sunlit Maple
  • ExtColor: Sunlit - no paint
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2017, 08:34:58 am »
I have the Progressive HW30, Phoenix hardwired it in. But in two older RV's I hardwired myself. Easy to do.

I was at a campground that a tree fell on their main power feed knocking out the neutral wire. Voltage varied from 60v to 180v instantly. All the other camper ruined microwaves and refrigerators.
Mine blew a hardwired fuse on circuit board. In two days progressive sent me a new easy to change board. In the meantime there is an override so you can still get semi-protected power.

Expensive and sometimes a pain when campgrounds wiring is too small and voltage drops below 104v when using microwave.

I mounted the digital display next to RV power cut-off switch by door, so I could look in door when hooking up to see if everything is OK.

John

Two Hams in a Can

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: December 20, 2016
  • Model: 2400 Sprinter
  • ModelYear: 2012 PC 2400 Sprinter
  • IntColor: Cherry
  • ExtColor: Rust
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2017, 10:22:12 am »
Would you please provide a link to the surge protector you recommend?  I really should buy one.
We bought the EMS-PT50C since we are 50 amp equipped. For 30 amp you would use Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C. I really like the way it displays incoming power information before you hook up so you know beforehand what the shore power condition is. After plugging your coach in the surge protector has a 2 minute 17 second delay before things light up. It gives one lots of time to peruse the setup.

We ordered thru Amazon Prime but it's available elsewhere. Sorry about no link...I'm not good about forum talk on an iPhone.  Not sure about pics in a post either.   (WH).   :)(:
Jeff and Suzanne traveling with the Cocker Spaniel sisters, Scout & Sydney in Fawkes the Phoenix 
"What happens in vagueness stays in vagueness"

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2017, 03:47:22 pm »
I prefer one that plugs against the outside of the motor home if such a thing exists, but I would also consider one that plugs in at the power pole.
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

jatrax

• John and Carrie
    • View Profile
    • Zigzag Mountain Art
  • PurchDate: November 2016
  • ModelYear: 2017
  • IntColor: Graystone
  • ExtColor: Graystone
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2017, 09:01:45 pm »
Ron, I had the Progressive Industries EMS hardwired in our new rig.  I was told at the factory that due to customer requests and their experience with this unit that Phoenix is going to be using it going forward as their option.

Just semantics perhaps, but this is an energy management system, not just a surge protector.  Simple surge protectors usually only protect from over voltage or lighting strikes.  The EMS also monitors voltage and will drop the connection if the line voltage is outside of parameters.  Which it did for 2 Hams in a can.

Interesting to watch the display as it checks the line voltage.

2 Frazzled

• View Profile
    • Spirit of the Woods
  • PurchDate: May 2013
  • ModelYear: 2013
  • IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
  • ExtColor: Sunlit
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2018, 10:53:32 am »
Update on our Progressive Industries EMS - not hardwired. We bought in 2013 and plugged it in every time we used the rig. We've full timed for over two years total at this point plus at least a few months of RV time in the three grounded years so it's been out there protecting our rig for over 1,000 days. It has saved us from bad power connections many times.

We were hooked up in a campground with blowing snow and freezing temps. We went wandering and returned to find the rig chilly and no electricity. A cable crew was digging and laying line in the area and we figured they cut the power to our section of the campground. John hauled the EMS over to some powered sites to test. At first he got a reading for all clear then the high power numbers starting jumping all over and we couldn't hook up. We bugged out to another campground with the same electrical error result. We finally opted to hook up unprotected.

We called Progressive and explained the problem. The tech said it sounded like moisture got in; go online, send pics of plug and such and they'll review it for warranty replacement. We checked our paperwork for Progressive Industries and it has a lifetime warranty on product defects so we went with it. We just got an email telling us our free replacement is on the way. Woo hoo! Progressive ROCKS! We'll spend that $250-300 we saved on more adventures... or, realistically, gas.

We can't recommend them highly enough. The cost is well worth it.
John, Holly, and sometimes Chloe.
Travel Blog: Spiritofthewoods.net

TheLuvShack

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: October 2016
  • Model: 3100
  • ModelYear: 2012
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2018, 05:40:31 pm »
I had a similar problem with PI EMS. Mine would just shut down. No error code and it didn't restart until I unplugged it, waited 30 seconds and plugged it back in. Then it would work but I never knew when it would happen again. Called PI and they said rain water would get into the plug receptacle  and cause this problem. Emailed photos and receipt of purchase and PI promptly sent me a new unit at no cost. Fine customer service! New unit has a plastic rain protector over the plug receptacle. So far, So good.