• PurchDate: October 4, 2012
  • Model: 2100
  • ModelYear: 2013
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Dusk
  • ExtColor: Dusk lower
Wind intrusion
« on: May 23, 2017, 11:04:25 am »
      We were camping in Utah in our PC2100 and had some terrific winds. There was some serious wind coming in around the TV. Because we were headed into the wind, it was probably coming in under the bullnose on the front. I inspected in the cabinets and around the TV as best I could without removing the TV--which I do not want to do. Could not determine where the wind was penetrating. 
      My bigger concern is the possibility of water intrusion.  I saw no sign in the cabinets or behind TV, but also has been a while since we drove in serious rain and we store under a carport. The area under the bullnose has never been calked.
      Does anyone know if there is a gasket there that could have shifted? Would it be harmful to calk the area?

Thanks, Nicki

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
Re: Wind intrusion
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 12:16:54 pm »
Try lifting your B+ cap at each front corner to determine if it has become loose.  It should be real tight to the steel van roof.
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

ragoodsp

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: No
  • PurchDate: May 5, 2012
  • Model: 3100
  • ModelYear: 2012
  • IntColor: cafe
  • ExtColor: cafe
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 01:13:39 pm »
That one is a weird one for sure!  If you leave the heat/AC control in the "on"  position vs's turning it to the true "off" position there is a damper that stays open and could let one lot of air in especially if the wind was coming directly at the nose of the coach and perhaps following the windshield up to the TV area?  Ron D's. loose B cap is the only other way air could ever get up into that area and if that is the case I would want to get the cap and the roof screwed together ASAP before you hit a heavy rain.   best of luck.   Ron G.
Ron Goodspeed

ron-n-toni

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 8/3/2017
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2017
  • IntColor: toast
  • ExtColor: toast
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 06:57:32 am »
We do a lot of off season travel and our top cabinets were always cold. I solved it by mistake. I store my 2351 in our barn and I had a mouse get into the upper right cabinet. Now how the devil did that little bugger get in there. After a great deal of searching, found that the A pillars are hollow. I had to remove the TV and front interior panel to access the top of the pillar. Then foamed the hollow and now we have no mouse and the cabinets are no longer cold. You may be able to access to bottom of the pillar to shove fiberglass insulation into the hollow but it is tough. Hope this helps.

2 Frazzled

• View Profile
    • Spirit of the Woods
  • PurchDate: May 2013
  • Model: 2552
  • IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
  • ExtColor: Sunlit
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 04:34:27 am »
Is the A pillar the part of the truck cab between the windshield and side Windows?
John, Holly, and sometimes Chloe.
Travel Blog: Spiritofthewoods.net

TomHanlon

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 06:13:05 am »
Yes

donc13

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 03/2015
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2015
  • IntColor: Nightscape/Hickory
  • ExtColor: White/Nightscape
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2017, 11:45:25 am »
Is the A pillar the part of the truck cab between the windshield and side Windows?

I second the "yes"  the A pillars are the metal pillars on the sides of the windshield.
---
Don and Patti

RheaNL

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2017, 09:47:08 pm »
     We had the windshield replace.....and are anticipating it will probably happen again after our trip to Alaska. I wonder if the pillar could have been shifted in that process.  I had the RV do the test to see if it was loose and they did not think that was the problem. The shop thinks whatever was put in their as a gasket has possibly shifted or torn. They recommended a bead of the highly elastic calk. We are headed to eastern Colorado on Thursday for a few days.  Usually some high winds so will try and study the problem.
     Thanks to everyone for their input.                  Nicki

ragoodsp

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2017, 08:34:42 am »
RheaRN...It would not be possible for the A pillar to move around at all since it is really a part of the roof structure.  I would have concerns about the integrity of the windshield if there is suspicion that it may have not sealed properly.   Todays windshields are very much and integral part of the vehicles integrity and has impact on the air bag operation, etc, I would not allow anyone to re caulk merely the outside if there is suspicion that the interior seal is not doing what it is suppose to...just my two cents.
Ron Goodspeed

RheaNL

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2017, 03:13:31 pm »
I appreciate every two cents worth. There is lots of wisdom to be had
We had some serious wind on last trip and were not able to replicate the previous air intrusion problem. Will continue to research and try to replicate before we take in action.

ragoodsp

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2017, 09:27:33 am »
With that much wind noise I would be very suspicious that the windshield did not get "seated" correctly and the adhesive has failed.  I would have whom ever replaced your windshield pull it out and reinstall.   If they should deny your request I would go elsewhere and pay out of pocket, having that windshield installed correctly is extremely important from a safety perspective.
Ron Goodspeed