• NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: 8/19/14
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2014
  • Slide: Yes
  • ExtColor: Cafe
HELP! Need hot water
« on: December 21, 2014, 06:05:24 pm »
Bird baths for two days has resulted in the stench you're getting from the Montgomery al area. We need showers!

We are new to the phoenix and dewinterized.  Lots of interesting experiences in our learning curve. Bad  water regulator and lots of ignorant crap provided entertainment for all. Well, all is well except the hot water heater won't come on with propane or electricity.   Where did we go wrong?

I won't even go into the satalite dish problem. Needed to have them turn it back on - how would I know that!

This huge learning curve is killing me

Stinky Janey in Montgomery.
Suzanna Jane (aka Janey) and Sid Shazly

Carol

• View Profile
    • Aging on Wheels
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: July 2014
  • Model: 2351
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Greystone with Sterling Leather
  • ExtColor: Sterling simplified
Re: HELP! Need hot water
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 06:57:28 pm »
When you unwinterized the unit, did you (or someone) switch the water heater bypass valve back so that the water heater is no longer bypassed?  That's the only thing I can think of.  Meanwhile, baby wipes are real helpful, at least for a while!

David J. Rotelle

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2014, 07:35:06 pm »
I would agree it's most likely the hot water bypass valve. If you turn it the correct way you should have hot water instantly............it's there you just aren't tapped into it.

Barry-Sue

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 10/17/11
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2012
  • IntColor: Cherry
  • ExtColor: Classic Umber
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2014, 07:44:40 pm »
Janey,

You are getting good advice.  There are three valves an inlet valve, an outlet valve and the bypass valve.  Make sure the inlet and outlet valves are open and the bypass valve is closed.  This way cold water goes into the tank, gets heated and then comes out of the tank.  The bypass valve is in the center and that needs to be closed and the other two open.

Sue

Barry and Sue 
Current   2012 2551 w/Slide
Previous 2008 2350 w/Slide

Janey

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2014, 08:00:51 pm »
We're getting water out of the faucet, but the light doesn't come on when we hit the switch from elec or propane.

Janey

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2014, 08:24:15 pm »
Update:
The valves are correct.  We watched the video again several times and  they are correct.  We heard a noise and the propane came on. Checked outside and it was on   But the light did not. Is it because we are plugged into electricity?  I thought the light came on whenever you turn the switch to either spot.

I think I'm exhausted.

Barry-Sue

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 10/17/11
  • IntColor: Cherry
  • ExtColor: Classic Umber
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2014, 08:49:16 pm »
Janey

I think the red light is a failure condition and indicates a failure to ignite.

Here is a link to a site that has the installation/operation manual for the Atwood water heater.  This might give you an insight to your problem.

http://www.askforatwood.com/manuals/waterheaters/MPD%2093756%20SP%2011.19.07.pdf

Barry

Barry and Sue 
Current   2012 2551 w/Slide
Previous 2008 2350 w/Slide

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2014, 07:53:07 am »
Hang in there Janey.  We all have gone through "operator error" mode with our first motor home.  Once you figure it out, then the challenge will be to remember it the following year. :)  We have owned our PC-2350 for 7.5 years now and I still forget things.  At least it comes back to me more quickly.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 09:13:04 am by ron.dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

ragoodsp

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: No
  • PurchDate: May 5, 2012
  • Model: 3100
  • IntColor: cafe
  • ExtColor: cafe
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2014, 08:38:22 am »
as sated the red light only comes on when there is not proper ingnition when on propane.   Just one additional point...do not run the water heater without water in it!  The heat will destroy the unit.  Make sure valves are right (think you have them right) before you fire the unti off.  I always bleed the air off and make sure the tank has water by cracking the pressure relaease handle towrds the top of the tank on the outside of the coach.   You will get it all down perfectly in time.  have fun!
Ron Goodspeed

TomHanlon

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2014, 08:50:45 am »
as sated the red light only comes on when there is not proper ingnition when on propane.   Just one additional point...do not run the water heater without water in it!  The heat will destroy the unit.  Make sure valves are right (think you have them right) before you fire the unti off.  I always bleed the air off and make sure the tank has water by cracking the pressure relaease handle towrds the top of the tank on the outside of the coach.   You will get it all down perfectly in time.  have fun!

You should NOT bleed off the air by cracking the pressure release valve. The tank needs some air in it to allow for water expansion when it is heated. If you remove all the air then the water has no where to expand and you will see water coming out of the release valve. I don't know how many times I have been asked by newbies as to way their water heater is leaking.
 :)

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2014, 09:19:19 am »
One could remove the plastic drain plug to confirm water is in the tank.  Just don't do it with "hot" water inside nor under pressure.

When the tank is drained, there is still 1/2 gallon of water inside to submerge the 110V heating element.  This is a safe guard for if you forget there is no water in the tank when plugging into a 110V source or start the generator.  I learned this when replacing the 110V heating element.  When I removed it, the water kept coming & coming.  (WH)  I asked the Atwood tech of which he then educated me on that one.  He also mentioned that it is designed to survive through freezing temperatures.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 09:21:04 am by ron.dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

ragoodsp

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2014, 09:42:42 am »
Good morning....You do not have to read this forum for long to see that there are many differing opinions about many subjects.  I have done a fair amount of research on the Atwood RV water heater web site and i would suggest that perhaps others spend some time on the site and in particular on the Troubleshooting manuel that is on the site.   Weeping pressure valves do not in any way represent a malfuction of the water heater or a lack of air in the tank.  Atwood designs and internal air gap at the top of the tank, actually well above the pressure relief valve.  Over time the water in the tank will absorb the air in the air gap and there are specific instructions on the Atwood site as to how you can introduce air back into the tank by releasing the pressure valve lever until water comes out and then letting it snap shut.  I would suggest that if you have the time or the interest do some reading for releasing air from the pressure valve does not cause the valve to weep and if done right may infact promote better air gap fuctionality.   Have a great and safe holiday season.   Ron
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 03:13:51 pm by ragoodsp »
Ron Goodspeed

Janey

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2014, 07:29:20 pm »
Well, the red light only comes on when there is a malfunction. In my defense, the red light comes on when the water pump is on. Should make sense that the light would come on when the water heater is on. Sorry for my stupidity.

ragoodsp

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2014, 07:46:35 pm »
Janey..there are no stupid questions and sometimes there is no rationalizing how things operate or do not operate!  Keep asking the questions and someone on the forum will help you out.  Ron
Ron Goodspeed

gl1500

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: May. 2014
  • ModelYear: 2551/2014
  • IntColor: Hickory
  • ExtColor: Cafe'
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2014, 11:09:51 pm »
Do not confuse the red light for the water pump with the one for the hot water heater.  They are close.
    Bob