• Model: 2351
  • ModelYear: 2016
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Cherry
  • ExtColor: Graystone
Roof care for newbie
« on: October 14, 2022, 12:42:52 pm »
Hello! 
I am ramping up on my maintenance on my 2351 2016.  Its my first RV and all of this is new.  Have been reading posts but hoping for a concise beginners approach to cleaning and sealing my roof.  So appreciate your advice!
Kathleen

jimmer

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: 5 / 2016
  • Model: 2700
  • ModelYear: 2006
  • IntColor: BLUE/OFF WHITE/MAPLE
  • ExtColor: WHITE OVER BLUE
Re: Roof care for newbie
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2022, 06:09:29 pm »
Hi Kathleen,    all I've ever done to mine is clean yearly, before winter indoor storage, with a brush and  a bucket of mildly soapy water.  Then rinsing well.    I've never applied any sealant and it looks great.
Congrats on starting your RV adventures with a  Phoenix Cruiser !   
Jim

mikeh

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: 02/2019
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2019
  • IntColor: Toast
  • ExtColor: Toast
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2022, 07:41:44 pm »
Kathleen,
We've got some folks on here with experience re-sealing the roof.  Unfortunately,  I'm not one of them.  Jim just provided some good advice on cleaning the roof.  I think the other important thing to do would be to carefully inspect the sealed areas for evidence of cracking or separation.  Storage conditions for the RV may make quite a bit of difference in when or how soon resealing is needed, so what was right for one may not be right for another.  The main thing is to prevent water intrusion, so if all your seams look smooth and well-sealed you may be good to go.  If you find cracks or areas where the seam is loose, then resealing those areas is certainly called for.
I have seen some pretty good YouTube videos on how to reseal, so that is an option for information as well.

Mike

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2022, 06:32:33 am »
Hi Kathleen,

Jim and Mike offer good common sense practices.

Phoenix Cruisers have a fiberglass sheet roof which is second only to a gel-coat roof.  Maintenance will depend on how it has been protected over the years, along with how you yourself shelter it.  If the rig was and is always parked outside uncovered, you will want to take extra steps.  I have been reading on this forum of owners reporting of the fiberglass sheathing developing some kind of break-down that causes the fiberglass to develop hairs.  I really don't know any more about it.  Hopefully you will get some good direction on how to prevent that break-down.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2022, 06:37:42 am by Ron Dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer