• PurchDate: 6/2010
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2010
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: tan
  • ExtColor: brown/sable
Elkart sightseeing??
« on: May 16, 2010, 09:25:20 am »
We are busily reading everything we can find about options and rennovations we should explore for our new 2551 - y'all are a wealth of info!  Thanks!!

With the "pick-up" trip to Elkhart coming up next month.....are there any PC veterans out there with recommendations of "don't miss" spots to visit while in northern Indiana?  We plan to spend a couple of days getting acquainted with our new PC and suggestions are welcome....

Also - other than our regular camping routine, do y'all have any ideas of special checks we should do while "checking out our new baby"?????

Mary K
Normal

Re: Elkart sightseeing??
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 10:41:47 am »
I recommend reviewing our thoughts for accepting delivery of a PC at http://forum.phoenixusarv.com/index.php?topic=98.0.

I would add that if you plan to tow something with your PC, take a trailer emulator tester with you to check out the chassis/coach wiring connection to trailer electrical system (See http://www.tomraperrvparts.com/parts/home.php, SKU 55-8642 Trailer Emulator, $31.40.) Also, if you plan to use electric trailer brakes, ask the factory to install the brake controller. That way you will know that the whole setup works correctly before you take delivery. (I’m now trying to figure out if our coach wiring is working correctly in preparation for towing our smart car. I ordered a tester and should have it next week.)

If you get the rearview mirror with outside temperature indicator, check that it is still correct after you drive your PC for a while. Ours does not; it reads 15-16 degrees hotter that the actual outside temperature. (I cannot find the sensor for the mirror to move it to a better location. Any ideas?)

When in Elkhart, the RV Museum a few miles to the east of the Phoenix factory is well worth a half-day visit.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 10:43:40 am by NC Sailors »
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ (\_ ~ (\_ ~ (\_~ ~ ~ ~

mwleung

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: 6/2010
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2010
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: tan
  • ExtColor: brown/sable
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 01:03:07 pm »
Thanks for the heads up - am ordering the emulator tester today!  Is Tom Rapier not the dealer that sells Airstreams North of Dayton???Think I have been there in my wanderings to the Airstream factory to have our Caravel checked out years ago....

Your info is exactly what I need to be an informed PC oqner!

Thanks
Mary K
Normal

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 02:19:20 pm »
Good afternoon NC.

We have had the same problem with the temp. gauge in the mirror.  Only ours was as high as 22-23 degrees off.

The senser is ahead of the left front wheel and clipped to the plastic liner of the fender well.  The one for the Dodge Mercedes is in the middle of the opening in the bumper where you would step to wash the front window.  We moved them so they are just a few inches apart (Mercedes one and the PC one)  It helped but now it is still off by 6-7 degrees. (high)  A lot of money for as poor as it is.  I have no booklet telling me if it can be adjusted.

Happy Camping,  Ron Amunrud

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 03:41:56 pm »
Ron Amunrud,

Thanks for the tip on the location of the mirror sensor. I checked the manual and it is supposed to be located in front of the radiator, away from the headlights, and no closer than 8" from the pavement. I unclipped the sensor from the fender liner and moved it to the lower part of the grill right in front of the (AC?) fan.

NC Sailors
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ (\_ ~ (\_ ~ (\_~ ~ ~ ~

TomHanlon

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2010, 08:39:31 am »
    We just picked up our new 2010 PC 2350 at the factory and let me first say what a great experence that was. Everyone is super nice and helpful. Amanda did the walk thru, she was very professisonal and whatever she did not know off hand, she found out for me. Bobby and Don where there to help also. Don even washed the rig between the rain showers. It did not stay clean very long but it did look  :lol nice when we got it.

We left the factory and went to Shipshewana South campground for the remainer of the afternoon and night. My wife and I tested everything would could, trying to find anything that needed to be fixed before we left the area. The campground was very nice and the sites are level, the bath house very very clean. We ended up coming back for a second night. We went to the Shipshewana flea market on Wednesday for a few hours and had lunch at their resturant, another fine choice. The flea market is so big that one can not see it all in one day unless you are into running. Another great place to eat is the 5-20 resturant at the intersection of rt 5 and rt 20, just south of the campground. I had been to the RV musem before and can say that it also is very interesting, especialy on a rainy or hot day as it is all inside. We drove around Elkhart testing the ride and handling and stopping at Lowes and Wal-mart, about three miles west of the factory.

The only thing we have been able to fine that needed fixing was the passengers side inside cover of the outside mirror had a broken clip and was rattling. We stopped by the factory Wednesday afternoon and Bobby replaced the cover and adjusted my outside mirrors for me.

I think you will have an excellant expenerse picking up you new motorhome and should not worry to much about buying testers, as the folks at the factory do a wonderful job of checking everything before you get it.  2o2