classact

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: No
  • NewUsed: New
  • Model: 3100
  • Slide: Yes
Question for 3100 owners
« on: February 28, 2012, 10:38:15 pm »
A question for 3100 owners, although others can chime in too since it pertains to other models as well to a certain extent.

We love the layout of the 3100 but (mostly my wife) has concerns about the dinette and sofa being on the same side of the coach.  We've had a couple class C's, both of which had opposing sofa/dinette floor plans. If a 3100 had that option I'm sure we'd be all over that.   Just wondering how it works for a couple, when set up at a campsite, and you all are both watching a movie or whatever. One person on the sofa and the other behind them sitting at the dinette? I'm certain the passenger bucket seat is too far forward to use for viewing the TV.  Has anyone added a chair?

Thanks.  One must think about such things before one makes big purchases!
2007 Jayco Melbourne
PC 3100 Wannabe

gradygal

• our 3rd PC--Custom 2910
    • View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • PurchDate: March 2012
  • Model: 2910
  • ModelYear: 2013
  • IntColor: cherry
  • ExtColor: slate gray full body paint
Re: Question for 3100 owners
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 08:31:23 am »
We do not have a 3100. We started in the motorhome world 3 years ago, after sailing for many years. Our 1st was an Airstream Interstate (too small). The 2nd was the PC 2350 (2010) and now we have a 2011 PC 2551. We have been discussing our motorhome needs (comfort) in the next years. We saw the PC 2910 at the Tampa show. Then we met up with Syd and Margo with their 3100.

Our take is, given that they are both built on the same chassis, we like the forward part of the 2910 with the 2 Euro chairs with the table between and the rear of the 3100 with the twin beds and the bath in the rear. We do not like dinettes. Would rather sit on the sofa and eat or eat outside.

Saturday, we went over to Eppers RV (the factory dealer in the area) to look at the 2910 again. We like from the kitchen forward but do not like the back with the queen in the rear slide'

A couple of weeks ago, we emailed Amanda to ask Kermit if our layout could be built on the 2910/3100 chassis. She got back to us stating that she asked Kermit and he would have to think about it. That is where it stands now.

If PC built that with the twin beds, bath in the rear and front 2910 layout, we would be the first in line.

We love our PC and the factory support. In the next couple of years we plan to leave FL in the summers and set up base in the Northeast. For 4 monthes of living in the motorhome as a seasonal, comfort is the main factor as we age gracefully.

Judi
Judi and George Nicholson
Punta Gorda FL

Barry-Sue

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 10/17/11
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2012
  • IntColor: Cherry
  • ExtColor: Classic Umber
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 09:26:47 am »
We do not have a 3100 but a 2551 - with a slide and sofa.  Because only one person could see the TV from the sofa we chose to install our own TV and put it on a swivel mount.  It works great and now both of us can sit on the sofa and comfortably watch TV.  This may work in the 3100 as well.

We have been using it in Fl for the past two months and we are very pleased with our modification.  It is very easy to view and is very road worthy.  No flexing or movement of the TV at all during travel.  We can both sit on the sofa and view the TV without any neck strain.

This may be an option for you.
Barry and Sue 
Current   2012 2551 w/Slide
Previous 2008 2350 w/Slide

Syd and Margo

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 9/11
  • IntColor: Sunlit
  • ExtColor: Sunlit
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 11:44:06 am »
We have a 2012 3100 which we love.  My wife and I and our little toy poddle have been on the road since early October.  We have no problem watching TV.  My wife and the dog sit on the sofa and I sit at the dinette table.  The only adjustment a have made was to buy a set of wireless headphones for myself, due to a hearing problem I have.  We love the 3100  and having previously owned a Class A and a Fifth Wheel we now feel we have the best of all worlds.  We have recently camped with other PC owners and have made great friends.  Looking forward to meeting other PC  owners.
Syd  :)(:

GoPhoenix

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 12/2010
  • ModelYear: 2011
  • IntColor: Slate grey/Cherry
  • ExtColor: Full body grey
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 01:17:54 pm »
Yep, added a chair (recliner).  We previously had a Class A “with all the trimmings.”  In 2006, we sold the Class A ourselves and downsized to a PC, Model 2900, which is no longer made and was bought from a dealer.  This was before mostly factory-only sales by PC.  Our dealer went out of business which, I guess, is one good reason PC is now mostly factory-only sales.   The 2900 had a small swivel chair, see floor plan below.  Beside the chair was a small triangular cabinet with a top that I used a lot (also on the 2700 and 2910), more on that table little top later.  We really liked the 2900 but missed the dinette from the Class A.  And the rear slideout didn’t suit us as we couldn’t use the bed or access most of the closets and cabinets unless the rear slide was open.  Also, the bath layout was not the best for us.  Both would also be true of the 2700 and 2910.

We went to the Phoenix Owners Club’s annual meeting in Branson, MO which turned out to be quite an expensive trip for us.  Kermit was there with the new 3100, and we ended up trading for one.  The more open floor plan of the 3100 made a dramatic difference even though it’s only 10” longer than the 2900 (and the 2910).  Also, it has a longer wheel base (better ride but larger turning radius), bigger gray tank, and an extra outside storage compartment.  We would have preferred a single double bed, but the twins work fine, and the bed is actually longer, my feet don’t hang over!  The bath arrangement is a major, major improvement.  We made several changes when it was built – send me an e-mail if you’d like details.  But back to the chair…

We bought a “Euro chair”, recliner with ottoman like this: http://www.amazon.com/Microfiber-Recliner-Ottoman-Mocha-Description/dp/B004D4IF4C but don’t use the ottoman.  See pic below.  There are many, many Euro chair makes/models available.  I tried to choose one with the narrowest width.  I didn’t spring for the extra money for the leather – personal choice.  When I recline, I just prop my feet on the turned-around passenger chair which works fine.  When we watch TV, I’m in the recliner; my wife’s asleep on the sofa  :-D.  I keep my laptop on a cushioned lap table which I often set on the passenger chair when not in use, or on the floor between the seats.  I’m pretty sure PC offers a recliner to match, but I’m not sure there would be room for the flip up footrest.  I’m very happy with this arrangement.  We rarely use the sofa bed but can by moving the chair in front of the dinette for the night.  And as for the sofa bed, if you rarely use it, I’d recommend our sofa bed, no longer used but may be available.  It has a full width/depth drawer under it which is huge (see pic).  Easy access for my computer, printer, and long items.  It requires an Areobed which we’ve had no problems with but rarely use.

I was concerned about not having the small side table that I had on the 2900. I solved that by using the cabinet next to the chair, see pic.  I bought a plastic cutting board at Walmart and cut it to fit the opening.  Great for my coffee warmer in the morning, a cold beverage in the afternoon, and a Happy Hour drink before supper.  Good place for other things too like the TV remote.  No need to clear it off when traveling – just close the cabinet door and go.  And you’ll find that that wall of cabinets behind the passenger seat holds a ton of stuff.

I know that many folks want to stay with shorter models, but this works for us.  We do travel.  Been to Alaska.  Drove Route 66: http://www.mytripjournal.com/HistoricRoute66 and the Pacific Coast Highway: http://www.mytripjournal.com/ThePCH.   We’ve been in 49 states by RV (and Hawaii, Guam and Europe by air).  But we also stay for weeks in some places; we’ve been in Florida for the past three months at an RV resort.  So the 3100 floor plan works great for that.  And boy do we get visitors – Class A folks wanting to see what the PC is all about.  (nod)
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 01:21:47 pm by gophoenix »
I remember very few of the things that I’ve spent money to buy, but I remember all of the places that I’ve spent money to see.

kevin

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 9/2010
  • IntColor: Maple
  • ExtColor: White
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 02:51:59 pm »
 pyho pyho pyhoMy first,wonderfully worded, reply got lost as I tried to attach/insert a pic which turned out tobe too large >:( >:(
short&sweet
we have a 3100 with no sofa & half a dinette and a soon to be installed mor ryde locking tv articulated arm thingy
kevin

DownBy TheRiver

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: Hopefully soon
  • ModelYear: 2910D is my favorite model
  • IntColor: Dusk
  • ExtColor: Dusk
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 05:24:18 pm »

Looking at Barry-Sue’s swing-arm TV setup, I would say that whether standard, or offered as a factory option; this could well be the single most valuable and cost-effective feature for both PC and potential owners.

My own thoughts, as well as discussion here, seems to have people choosing floorplans to accommodate viewing habits, rather than the other way around.  I think the floorplan and furnishings are more important in supporting overall personal usefulness & lifestyle, so it’s regretful that buyers need choose between overall utility vs TV.

A TV arm modification is small potatoes, while floorplan and furniture modifications are much more costly.  Not only financially, but in lost owner satisfaction as well.

The existing over-cab furnishings can remain as are currently designed and manufactured, and the owner can best choose their own viewing angle from anywhere in the coach, no matter what their habits or needs.

GoPhoenix

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 06:19:23 pm »
DownByTheRiver, not sure what you trying to say.  But for us, livability was the most important thing.  Frankly, we don’t watch all that much TV.  My recliner is comfortable and makes working on the computer easy (I am a webmaster for four non-profits, gratis).  Also, we are avid readers, and the sofa and recliner work out very well for us.  Not quite sure how you can make valid observations with owning a PC.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 06:22:43 pm by gophoenix »
I remember very few of the things that I’ve spent money to buy, but I remember all of the places that I’ve spent money to see.

ragoodsp

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: May 5, 2012
  • IntColor: cafe
  • ExtColor: cafe
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 08:08:16 pm »
While I really enjoy my 2551 i have seriously thought of upgrading to the 3100 for the extra space.    I have had 2 A's with the dining/sofa arrangement like the 3100 and it worked OK. I  have some reservations about the  PC's  seating arrangement since the PC sofas are a little on the short side.  I think the 2910 without the rear slide would be ideal...twin beds on each side, floor to roof wardrobe between them on the back wall and the shirt closets placed like on my 2551 (foot of the beds) would be ideal.  I spoke to Stuart some time ago and he thought the concept could be accomplished without much trouble.  I would remove the dinette as well and replace with a smaller table and two euro style chairs.  It is great that PC has the flexibility and willingness to look at differing design concepts.  Thanks
Ron Goodspeed

DownBy TheRiver

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 08:40:19 pm »

I'm also more a blogger and a reader than a TV watcher as well.  But that isn't necessarily so for all current or future PC owners.  And as voiced on this forum for a long time now, there is significant "chatter" devoted to which floorplan best accommodates TV viewing.

All I'm trying to say, is that for a few hundred dollars devoted to a swing-arm TV setup – either optionally OR as standard equipment - that either PC might avoid many thousands of dollars’ expense of R&D, or profit; or that many PC buyers could avoid having to choose a less “TV-friendly” floorplan over that which might suit their greater “wishlist” otherwise.

More satisfied buyers and owners for the least additional cost.  That’s all.  And as an additional selling point for PC?  What other RV manufacturer might consider including a telescoping or otherwise adjustable TV mount?  No one else, as far as I can tell.  Win-win!

DownBy TheRiver

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 10:00:42 pm »
While I cannot make any valid observations as a PC owner, I am allowed to make valid observations as a potential owner, right?  While current owners might not find my observations or questions worthy of consideration, perhaps PC might be interested in my comments as a future customer?

Yes – I’m a PC “wannabe”.  Certainly, I can’t make valid observations regarding the actual experience of day-to-day operational occupation and ownership of a PC.  And I have not.  That’s why I read this forum’s postings by those who are both experienced RV owners and PC owners.  I need to learn.  But I think I can be allowed commentary or questions on obvious design issues otherwise?  As raised by myself or others?

I’ve been an engineering, architectural, mechanical and design student by education, employment and personal inclination otherwise.  As for theoretical design issues, the PC brochure and website provides copious photographs, specifications and scaled floorplans that can be accurately reviewed and analyzed – for the benefit of current owners, future owners, and for PC itself.

Frankly, I SHOULD have been a PC owner of at least 2 years’ standing by now.  I researched and settled upon PC back in 2007.  All research and reading since then has only strengthened my resolve as a future PC owner.  My anticipated ownership was to be a transitional step between part-timing and full-timing.  But the changes in the economy and related personal, employment and financial issues have delayed my ownership – of both a PC, and the associated lifestyle.

Reality has changed my needs from the possibility of a previously-transitional step between part-timing and full-timing into what would need to be a full-timing necessity.  If not in settling for a premature retirement, but if only because I now need consider, via an RV; to seek gainful employment far from my current “bricks and mortar” reality.  Investments that I can neither emotionally part with nor sell profitably currently.

At this time, I cannot afford both.  My only consolation is that in the interim, PC has continued improving their product, and continues to do so based on our input.  And that’s VERY important to me and other potential owners.

While my input here may be of little benefit to current owners, I can assure you that everyone’s input here is of GREAT benefit to me.  And probably to PC as well.

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2012, 11:24:07 pm »
Back to the initial question.

I own an older smaller 2350, so you need to consider my opinion from a different perspective.  I would not normally reply except for the topic of a seat in between the entry door and the passenger seat.

Put plain and simple.....we really find this seat comfortable for relaxiation, watching television, and yet offer a 3rd very comfortable seat for another passenger who can recline, relax, and look over the shoulder of the front people out the front window as shown here.  We don't have a 3rd passenger that often, but when we do, they are so grateful to have that seat instead of the seat that originally came with the rig.

The pics below show the seat in various positions including a passenger (my wife) belted in, simulating transit.

Original Seat

« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 11:30:39 pm by ron.dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

GoPhoenix

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2012, 01:35:42 pm »
Well, what do you know?  Probably other 3100 owners knew this, but we didn’t, even after we have owned it for a year and a half.  There’s an additional electrical outlet far back under the forward facing dinette seat.  Probably for a computer.  All the times we’ve cleaned, we’ve have never noticed it.  We set up a small Christmas tree on the table in December.  Christmas the first time in Florida still seems a little strange for a northerner.  With no outlet available (we thought), we unfolded the sofa bed in order to access the outlet for the Aerobed and used an extension cord.

So my outlet count is 12, including what must be one in the compartment above the pantry for the microwave, which is screwed shut. Living/cab, 4 (no Aerobed; 3?); kitchen 3; bedroom, 3; bath, 1; exterior, 1.  First class . . . as always.

2o2
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 03:00:24 pm by gophoenix »

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2012, 04:14:42 pm »
Funny you mentioned that gophoenix.  We too experienced the same with ours 4 years ago....the hidden outlet in the front dinette bench.  I discovered it when putting stuff inside the bench compartment wondering what's that electrical box sticking inside the compartment.  Unfortunately, ours does not run off the invertor.....only shore and generator powered.  It would have been nice when using a laptop on the table.
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

GoPhoenix

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2012, 04:49:06 pm »
The front dinette seat has a very large drawer under it to utilize the space. But the space under the rear dinette seat, where the outlet is, is not accessible. The cushion is not removable (kind of wish it was reversible). Nothing inside or out would seem to utilize that space. But there must be something important in there – no space seems to be wasted.