• PurchDate: June 2007
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
An Affordable Roof Vent Cover For People On A Budget
« on: October 14, 2017, 08:59:44 am »
Our 2007 Phoenix Cruiser has two power roof vents, a generic version in the bathroom and a Fantastic in the bedroom.  Outside on the roof they are very similar in size & shape, and how they open.

I wanted rain-&-wind covers for them but didn't want to spend a fortune.  I found the Aero-Flo product sold at Walmart HERE for an affordable $19.69 plus sales tax.  I bought one on-line and had it shipped to my local Walmart to save around $7 in shipping costs.  The unit installed extremely easy.  Tools needed was a drill with a specific bit size and a screw driver.  NO holes go into the roof, only in the side of the raised frame of the vent cover which was important to me.

I installed the Aero-Flo over our bedroom Fantastic fan.  During our last RV trip, I was impressed with how good it works so I just bought a second one for the bathroom vent and will have it installed prior to our next big trip.

One thing important to me is for the vent to sit lower than the a/c unit (which it does) because the a/c unit just clears our garage door opening.

For you on a budget, the Aero-Flo is a great solution for a roof vent cover.

I also need to mention that opening the roof vent tight to the Aero-Flo cover, eliminates the noise of the cover clanking in the wind.  With the roof vent half open, it might also eliminate the noise but I always opened the vent to contact the under-side of the Aero-Flo.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 09:10:27 am by ron.dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

HenryJ

• All ready for the road
    • View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: April 16 del Jul 24,16
  • Model: 2910
  • ModelYear: 2016 / 2910T
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Hickory (light)
  • ExtColor: graystone
Re: An Affordable Roof Vent Cover For People On A Budget
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 05:20:20 pm »
THe vent covers serve a purpose some may not know till they have a vent lid failure. Generally the type of plastic is not suitable for very long in the sun. The sun causes a serious deterioration and breakdown and the lid will break or powder. We asked for MaxxAir covers at Phoenix when we were there picking up our new unit. What I found is some may be some are not. I wanted the Maxx Air since we know the company and in the past have done work for them in Tampa. In any event we did endure a failure in a bathroom vent several years ago before the PC and it allowed road repair fumes to overtake us inside...and the set up in that unit we could have had raindrops on our head while sitting on the potty. The covers no matter what price are a very necessary install. It does prevent water intrusion too and gives the life span of the lid a long time.
PS. My plastic. Experience is kinda advanced. I was  in business doing plastic injection molding for several years. So I am aware of types of plastic and how well they wear. Our line was for boats. Some of our hatches were used for top of the line trailers too. I am not guessing on this subject for you. Regards P
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 05:51:34 am by HenryJ »
Patricia
A new day has dawned now only traveling with Miss Elle . Jim will be watching over us.

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
Re: An Affordable Roof Vent Cover For People On A Budget
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 07:50:18 am »
The vent covers serve a purpose some may not know till they have a vent lid failure. Generally the type of plastic is not suitable for very long in the sun. The sun causes a serious deterioration and breakdown and the lid will break or powder.
I heard that on other forums.  I also heard that painting the cover will prevent sun damage.  I assume a gray or black color would be more effective than white.

I have no concern of sun damage because our rig is stored indoors most of it's life.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 11:20:36 pm by ron.dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer