• OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
There is one thing you will want to check for on your E350 or E450, something that will rob power and reduce your fuel economy.  It is a very easy mistake for a mechanic to reassemble incorrectly, and it is very easy for you to inspect for.

Make sure the large black flat engine air inlet piece is assembled over the radiator properly.  It is the piece that the oval air inlet from the air filter snaps into.  In cleaning out a dead bird from my a/c condenser, I had to remove that large black plastic piece, held in with 4 plastic push-pins.  If the back-side hidden hinged plastic part is positioned incorrectly when installing it, air through the air filter to the engine's throttle body is severely restricted.

There was a recall around 2010 concerning that piece.  Apparently a Ford line worker misunderstood it too.  I can easily see a good mechanic making the same mistake.  I almost did it myself had I not previously known of the problem.

To check is extremely easy, takes all of about 5 seconds.  Just grab the oval engine air inlet to the air filter, give a jerk upward to unsnap it and continue pivoting upward.  Then look in the hole it was snapped into.  If you see a black plastic obstruction, you need to take that large piece out and swing the hinged plastic piece on the back side of it in the opposite direction, then reassemble.
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

Denny & Barb

• Medicine Bow, Wy.
    • View Profile
    • Weather at my home
  • PurchDate: 4-08-2012
  • ModelYear: 2012
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: cafe
  • ExtColor: cafe
Re: Ford Engine Power-Robbing Assembly Mistake, Easy For Anyone To Check For
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 01:20:20 pm »
Only obstruction I see is 1.25 inch wiring harness that is not about to move. No flipper flapper.
Your Word our Lord is a light to my feet and a lantern to my path...  Ps 119

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 03:28:25 pm »
I wonder if the part was modified in later years, an action item to address the recall permanently.

To be honest, I look at that plastic flap and wonder about it's contribution.  I could see Ford deleting it just to make sure it's never a problem again.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 03:30:14 pm by ron.dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

jimmer

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: 5 / 2016
  • Model: 2700
  • ModelYear: 2006
  • IntColor: BLUE/OFF WHITE/MAPLE
  • ExtColor: WHITE OVER BLUE
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 07:33:59 pm »
In checking mine,   and finding no flipper problem,  I decided to go ahead and check the air filter which I hadn't done since early summer.    Lo and behold,  the black, ball-shaped end on the
air filter element was laying loose inside the housing,  possibly obstructing the inlet into the housing, behind the swivel-arm.   The glue holding the  ball end to the element having apparently failed.   Only a year old and the pleated paper still looking very fresh.      Thanks Ron,  for the  heads up.    Could be mental on my part but it seemed to   have more power on the drive to seasonal storage.
jim

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 10:13:06 pm »
In checking mine,   and finding no flipper problem,  I decided to go ahead and check the air filter which I hadn't done since early summer.    Lo and behold,  the black, ball-shaped end on the
air filter element was laying loose inside the housing,  possibly obstructing the inlet into the housing, behind the swivel-arm.   The glue holding the  ball end to the element having apparently failed.   Only a year old and the pleated paper still looking very fresh.      Thanks Ron,  for the  heads up.    Could be mental on my part but it seemed to   have more power on the drive to seasonal storage.
jim

Wow, I never heard that happen to anyone before, though I could see the potential for it.  I am glad you found the failure in your air filter and not drive it for many more miles yet.

As far as air filters are concerned, I change mine every other oil change which is every other year and roughly 8000 miles.  That is unless we have an extremely dusty trip which has happened in the past with our first motor home.  One trip and the air filter was all full of red dust.  Had I known, I would have changed it just before we started our trip back home.
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

Denny & Barb

• Medicine Bow, Wy.
    • View Profile
    • Weather at my home
  • PurchDate: 4-08-2012
  • ModelYear: 2012
  • IntColor: cafe
  • ExtColor: cafe
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 09:58:20 pm »
I use K&N rechargeable filter. Clean once a year and use mobile 1 changing twice a year. Once b4 Arizona in October and again when back home in May.
Your Word our Lord is a light to my feet and a lantern to my path...  Ps 119