• Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
Does Your A/C Unit Run Exceptionally Noisy? If So, Read This
« on: December 04, 2016, 10:03:24 am »
Hi Everyone,

Given most people here on the PC forum own newer PCs, this likely won't apply, but it could for us with older roof-top A/C units.

My brother had his old 1998 Starflyte motor home serviced to get his A/C top cover replaced.  UV damage was so bad that it broke off and shattered on the ground, fortunately while parked.  He asked the service guy if anything could be done to reduce the A/C noise.  The guy said he'd look it over.  It turned out that over the years, the hardware that holds down the A/C unit worked themselves loose.  Between the gasket shrinking some amount with age, and the mounting hardware working loose, his A/C unit vibrated excessively up there.  My brother said the noise reduction is dramatic.  He was surprised to learn of how loose the unit was, especially since he had no water coming in.  Funny that my brother thinks the A/C unit was loose the day he bought the RV used some years ago.

So if your older A/C unit runs louder than a new one, tighten up the mounting hardware.  It might solve your problem.  It might also reduce the potential of water infiltration.

Ron Dittmer
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 10:07:13 am by ron.dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

HenryJ

• All ready for the road
    • View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: April 16 del Jul 24,16
  • Model: 2910
  • ModelYear: 2016 / 2910T
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Hickory (light)
  • ExtColor: graystone
Re: Does Your A/C Unit Run Exceptionally Noisy? If So, Read This
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 03:37:53 pm »
Happy Sunday Ron, we have a 2016 with 2 ac units, 2910T.... and if they were any noisier we would think a band of drummers had moved in. They make such a noise. Nothing quiet about them except OFF  ....we do have heat in both since the tolerance for cold is low. They have their own thermostats... and they are very different and do not operate like anything we would have ever picked out. So far they do operate... we keep old Gertie plugged in (We are 50 amp) just like we did the class A. that keeps batteries up and no mold of mildew with cool on.
We take to the road mid week. And with weather man forecasting low morning temp. we will have heat on .
Nothing will ever compare to the basement air we had in our first class A... it was so quiet and a very normal thermostat... and even the paint on that unit was beautiful. It was shiny the day we traded it in as it was on Day 1. No one did a better job on paint. Sending you Merry Christmas Greetings, Santa at our house wears baggy shorts and big flip flops. Regards, Patricia
Patricia
A new day has dawned now only traveling with Miss Elle . Jim will be watching over us.

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
Re: Does Your A/C Unit Run Exceptionally Noisy? If So, Read This
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 04:19:54 pm »
Patricia,

Your A/C unit comments had me laughing out loud.  I figured someone would chine in and say something like you did.  But I didn't expect it to be so entertaining.  When my brother told me about his, I wondered how loud his was before, because like yourself I too find it ridiculously loud when it is mounted properly.

My brother has an Onan 3000 in his little 21' rig and he just bought a 1000 watt Honda so he can watch TV in peace and quiet.  I think every motor home with an Onan and roof A/C should also include one of these mounted on the wall.

And a Very Merry Christmas to you too!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 04:25:46 pm by ron.dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer