Hello Guest!

Need The Strength Of "THE HULK" To Work Your Shower Head? If So, Read This.

• 33 Replies

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
Hi All,

I checked off this one on my maintenance list.

Like many of us (maybe all of us), our shower head has this chrome button to turn the water on and off at the head.  Ours got harder to work with each passing year.  This past trip was unacceptable so it was time to take action.  Actually I waited far too long to take action.  I should have done this four years ago.

Here it is taken apart.  To disassemble it, grab the ends of the chrome stem and unscrew it from itself.  One end comes off as a fancy slot-less screw.  Afterward I had trouble removing the stem from the handle for there was so much resistance.  I ended up screwing in a much longer screw, then applied pressure on that screw to push the stem through.  As it turned out the stem was so hard to remove because one of the "O" rings kept getting hung up on a plastic hole inside the handle.  Once removed, I learned I damaged that "O" ring which left a tiny rubber chunk inside.  I removed that debris, cleaned up everything, lubricated everything with a thin layer of Vasoline, replaced the damaged "O" ring, reassembled, and now the button works as smooth as butter.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 12:50:34 pm by ron.dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

Janey

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: 8/19/14
  • ModelYear: 2014
  • Slide: Yes
  • ExtColor: Cafe
Is there a way to clean the shower head itself?  I'm not getting water out of all the holes.

Janey (needs more water pressure)
Suzanna Jane (aka Janey) and Sid Shazly

Pax

Generally, soaking it in CLR or similar does the job.

- Mike

TomHanlon

You can clean the head by soaking it in white vinger. Just spray the side switch with WD40 silicone and push it back a forth several times. Much easier than Ron's way.
 2o2

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
Tom, you are correct about that being much easier, but using Vasoline is the official lubricant for potable water, and I assume we all appreciate potable water to take a shower with.

In all honesty, Tom's method exposes the human body to so little questionable chemicals, I would think that is fine.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 06:47:16 pm by ron.dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
I have the white plastic shower hose off as well, going to home improvement centers with it to find a more flexible one.  I am thinking about one of those plastic braided type like we once had at home for the kitchen sprayer.  Has anyone found a better one?  Maybe ours is getting stiffer over the years.  It tends to fight me, and because of it, it gets loose down by the faucet.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 07:22:55 pm by ron.dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
Generally, soaking it in CLR or similar does the job.

- Mike
Yep!

CLR, Lime Away, and Zep all work well at cleaning those little holes, and also any red/brown rust stains.  Just soak the head in a jar, then run water through it.  It is safe to use for it rinses completely away.  People use it to clean their coffee makers.
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

Barry-Sue

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 10/17/11
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2012
  • IntColor: Cherry
  • ExtColor: Classic Umber
Ron

We replaced our shower hose a couple of years ago.  Works great and is very flexible with no rust.

It is the stainless steel hose on this site:
http://www.rvpartscountry.com/RvShowerHeadsHoses

Perhaps something on this site might meet your needs.

Barry
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 07:42:06 pm by Barry-Sue »
Barry and Sue 
Current   2012 2551 w/Slide
Previous 2008 2350 w/Slide

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
Thanks for the link Barry.  It looks like what I am looking for.

I like to get away from the office for lunch so I'll still pay a visit to a few stores.  I do wonder if the Made For RV stuff is different.  It will make for some lunch time fun.

I also want to swap all the white painted screws just above the shower pan with stainless ones with pan heads to  get rid of those sharp edge heads.
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

Barry-Sue

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 10/17/11
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2012
  • IntColor: Cherry
  • ExtColor: Classic Umber
Ron,

We replaced the screws in the shower awhile back.  See my post http://forum.phoenixusarv.com/index.php/topic,1876.msg14578/topicseen.html#msg14578
Barry and Sue 
Current   2012 2551 w/Slide
Previous 2008 2350 w/Slide

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
Ron,

We replaced the screws in the shower awhile back.  See my post http://forum.phoenixusarv.com/index.php/topic,1876.msg14578/topicseen.html#msg14578
Somehow I missed that one or it simply flew out of my head.  Thanks for sharing that.  It will be easier with your given sizes.  I like your "silicone dab" suggestion too.

Are the two long ones for the corners?  I count 13 plus 2 for the corners in our 2350.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 11:44:40 pm by ron.dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

Bruce

Ron,
We replaced our shower hose with an Oxygenics Body Spa - Powerful RV Shower Technology model that you can see on this page:
http://www.coilnwrap.com
It works great and I like the design of the handle as it can be manipulated easily with my soapy hands while in the shower.
--Bruce

Pax

We also replaced ours with the Oxygenics and agree with Bruce about the handle design.

- Mike

2 Frazzled

• View Profile
    • Spirit of the Woods
  • PurchDate: May 2013
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2013
  • IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
  • ExtColor: Sunlit
We bought the Oxygenics and have it under the bed waiting for us to motivate into fix-it mode. We are so bad at this stuff, we dread it. The shower works with muscle on that button so we put it off. I get jealous reading some of the posts you all put up here. You are so good at fixing things. It's winter now and we tucked our baby away so the shower head will have to wait for spring.
John, Holly, and sometimes Chloe.
Travel Blog: Spiritofthewoods.net

TomHanlon

Tom, you are correct about that being much easier, but using Vasoline is the official lubricant for potable water, and I assume we all appreciate potable water to take a shower with.

In all honesty, Tom's method exposes the human body to so little questionable chemicals, I would think that is fine.

Ron, the next time you in a hardware or plumbing store, ask them for some plumbers grease. Most likely you will get a silicone grease from them. My plumber uses it our house filters and water neutralizer seals. Also doctors and dentist all use silicone gloves now a days. I would think that silicone is safe for use in a shower. Maybe even better than the old, used for many years, Vasoline.