• Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
Adding Features To Our Older Style 2007 Control Panel
« on: October 19, 2015, 08:09:11 am »
Hi All,

On our 2007 2350 with a new pair of 6V batteries, I was inspired to add a volt meter to better monitor them.  The simplest way would have been to plug a nice little round one LIKE THIS into the 12V outlet located inside the cabinet to the right of the main TV.  But I wanted something "In My Face" and the control panel in the stove hood seemed the ideal location.  I removed the panel following the instructions on a sticker located under the hood.  Doing anything different would have broken something.  On the back side of the blank space were knock-outs for features.  So I did a little Ebay shopping and found something to utilize those knock-outs.

Here is my control panel before.  Note the large blank space available to the right.

Here is the back side.  Note the knock-outs for switches and a display.

THIS is what I installed.  It has a 3-function display.
- Voltage to two decimal places
- 12 hour clock that can display the seconds (backup battery retains the time)
- Thermometer in Degrees F
It comes with a 2-switch micro-switch panel to operate the display, but I bought separate spring-back switches on Ebay HERE to match the others which fit right into the available positions.

Here is the finished product

I was surprised how quick and easy the project went.  I had to be careful when cutting for the display because it was a little smaller than the knock-out provided.  The switches were easy, just cut to the plastic frame structure size.  One thing caught me off-guard.  I assumed the primary control panel wires had red as power and black as ground, but that was not the case.  When tapping into power and ground, first ohm out which is which...don't go by the color.  Doing so the first time would have saved me an hour's time of re-work.

I also bought one of those little round plug-in volt meters and it is quite nice.  I will be plugging it into my dash board cigarette lighter to monitor the chassis battery.  It will be interesting to watch the voltage changes when the alternator gets switched over to charge the house batteries.

If you like the idea of having a volt meter to monitor your batteries, the simple plug-in one located to the right of the main TV will do the job just as well as the fancy one I installed.  Just keep a close eye on it.  As I understand it, the general rule monitoring voltage is when it reads 12.1V with all things turned off, you better get your batteries charged right away or they will soon get damaged.  Fully charged batteries are around 12.7V with all things turned off.  I will learn how to interpret the voltage readings by the end of our next trip.

ADDING THIS COMMENT YEARS LATER.........
I see my eBay link on where to buy is no longer working.  I did a search and see that as of late, there is a newer version available which includes the 2 control buttons, integrated in the display.  That is much easier to wire up and install.  I don't know if it fits inside the same panel cut-out or if you have to adjust the opening.  As before, there is green, red, and blue displays available.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 02:13:09 pm by Ron Dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

dougisan

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: 03/2929
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2005
  • IntColor: Beige/Green
  • ExtColor: White/Greem
How do you remove the older style 2005 Control Panel
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2020, 07:58:53 pm »
I have a 2005 Phoenix Cruiser 2550.  I would like to remove the face of the Control Panel and cannot find direction on how to remove it.  Does anyone have an idea on how to remove it so that I do not break anything?

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
Re: Adding Features To Our Older Style 2007 Control Panel
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2020, 11:13:34 pm »
Study my pictures higher up, the one showing the back side in full view, you can see hooks on the top and bottom in 3 places, but not on the left side.  I can't remember if there is a screw on the left side of the panel holding it in, or not.  With screw removed or no screw at all, you simply pry up the left side a little, then slide the panel to the left a 1/4" to 1/2" to release it.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2020, 11:27:07 pm by Ron Dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer