• NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: 10/09
  • Model: 2350 Sprinter
  • ModelYear: 2010
  • Slide: Yes
  • ExtColor: Full body paint/latte
Cabinet door latches
« on: October 12, 2014, 06:24:46 pm »
Has anyone replaced the plastic door latches in your PC with something stronger that really keeps those doors closed while traveling?  On our recent trip, several of our doors managed to fly open.  We tried some of the magnetic latches and they weren't great either.  We have had our motorhome for five years now and after 30,000 miles those latches just aren't holding.  We have replaced some with the plastic latches that we originally had but would like something much stronger.  Thanks for your help.

Margie

dickreid1

• All 48 States, boarder Provinces and Maritimes
    • View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • PurchDate: Feb. 2012
  • Model: 2910
  • ModelYear: 2012
Re: Cabinet door latches
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2014, 07:41:32 pm »
Margie,

Ditto

Dick

AMW

• 2015 2100-stretch
    • View Profile
  • PurchDate: July/2014
  • Model: 2100
  • ModelYear: 2015
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Toast
  • ExtColor: Sterling
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2014, 10:03:17 pm »
RVdesigner.com makes two versions of the "Cabinet Door/Drawer Push Latch" of the type that most of my PC cabinet doors have.  There is a 5 lb version and a 10 lb version.  I wonder if that means either 5 or 10 lbs force to open.  I don't know who manufactures the latch that PC uses, but I wonder what the rating of lbs of force open the latches on our cabinets.  Maybe it's possible to upgrade to a replacement that requires greater force to open and would stay more securely closed when driving.

I have not had problems with mine opening while driving yet, but they are very new and I have had only a few trips.
Ann W.

Bob Mahon

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 6/2011
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2011
  • IntColor: Tan/Gray/Cherry
  • ExtColor: Lower Slate Gray
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2014, 11:16:46 pm »
We've not had doors opening with the standard latches. However, we've experienced quite a few of them breaking. Fortunately, I've been able to buy replacements from PC at a very fair price. So far, I've replaced 10 of them after trying the magnetic and pinch roll type latches, which are inadequate.
Carry on, regardless..................
"In God we trust" to save our country and bring our troops safely home.

AMW

• 2015 2100-stretch
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 07:42:49 am »
My last RV which I had for 13 years, had these same type latches on every door and drawer.  They never wore out and none of them ever broke or opened during driving.  On my new PC, the largest cabinet door (the wardrobe door) has two latches instead of one and it takes some pretty good force to open it.  So maybe adding a second latch to a door that opens too easily would help.  If latches are wearing out or breaking, maybe buying a different brand would help...or maybe contemporary versions of the latch are just not made as well as the older ones.
Ann W.

keelhauler

• View Profile
    • Our RV Page
  • PurchDate: 05/2012
  • IntColor: Sunlit Maple
  • ExtColor: Sunlit - no paint
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 10:07:12 am »
I replaced about 12 of them, which Phoenix replaced free of charge.

The good latch (5 lb pull) is  Southco Latch c3-805, do not buy one from brd. these are the bad ones.
Southco cost about $8 plus shipping, or free>$50

Phoenix uses a Chinese latch distributed by brdsupply.
The plastic fails and it comes apart.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 01:09:09 pm by keelhauler »

John

Frank

• CHEERS 2008 2551 (Yooper Kermit)
    • View Profile
  • PurchDate: April 2012
  • Model: 2551
  • IntColor: green
  • ExtColor: green
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 10:38:03 am »
We solved the problem by running a longer bungee attached to the
cabinet knobs.
also, after having our refer door fall off while driving, I installed 2
eye hooks at top & bottom into the trim, & used bungee near
the latch end.
Frank & Dee  CHEERS!!

RKS

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 1/2016
  • ModelYear: 2016
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2014, 12:08:32 pm »
We have had  a number brake also,  including the wardrobe door with the two sets.  Keep a stock on hand that PC supplied us with.  Our granddaughter has been making colorful elastic bands for us from her Rainbow Loom kit for the cabinet doors, look nice and so far are working nicely.
Our bathroom door fell off last week.  The hinges are adequate for cupboards but questionable for a door with a mirror.  1/2 inch # 4 screws attached it.  It is temporarily repaired with 1" #8 screws and tooth picks until we get home.
Saw a PC southbound on I81 south of Roanoke Va yesterday.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 12:44:05 pm by RKS »
Bob and Michele
Previously owned a 2350 Sprinter

AMW

• 2015 2100-stretch
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2014, 12:43:48 pm »
Our bathroom door fell off last week.  The hinges are adequate for cupboards but questionable for a door with a mirror.  1/2 inch # 4 screws attached it.  It is temporarily repaired with 1" #8 screws and tooth picks until we get home.

When I picked up my new PC, the bathroom door hinge screws pulled out of the wall the first time we opened the door.  Phoenix replaced with longer screws, but when I got home I had to replace again with even longer and thicker ones.  I had to remove the middle hinge entirely, as the wall wasn't perfectly straight and the motion of opening/closing was twisting that hinge and torquing the others.  So far the two hinges with longer/bigger screws are working fine and holding, but I'm on the lookout for a heftier set of hinges for this door.  Suggestions welcome.
Ann W.

Doneworking

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: September 2013
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2013
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2014, 12:08:03 pm »
We have now had our 2350 for 13 months and love it!   Every motorhome we have had over all the years had a similar problem:  poor latches.  Prior to the PC, we had a 2007 Roadtrek 210P which gave us almost eight years of service with hardly any problems at all (other than normal maintenance) with the sole exception of .........latches and hinges.   Our 2350 has experienced two broken, one stuck (sprayed with silicon and that helps a little) in a short period of time.  

I often have wondered:  when these things cost as much as they do, why not just add a hundred bucks or so when they are made and provide good latches?   Everyone that has had virtually any rv has had this problem and it seems to be getting worse because of cheap Chinese copies of good USA products.   It just doesn't seem the place to cheapo out for a little savings.  OR, just maybe, there are so few quality makers of hardware remaining that there simply are no choices. They may, alas, be a fact.

By the way, I carry two or three 98 cent roller latches you can buy at Walmart and use them for a quick substitute when camped and away from a source of a better product.   It takes about five minutes to install and a happy life is a happy wife (cheer)

Paul
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 12:10:43 pm by Doneworking »

keelhauler

• View Profile
    • Our RV Page
  • PurchDate: 05/2012
  • IntColor: Sunlit Maple
  • ExtColor: Sunlit - no paint
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2014, 02:24:14 pm »
I shopped around and found the best price at Amazon for genuine Southco Latch c3-805. It is listed as Southco Inc SC-4325 Side-Mount Grabber Catch, 5 Lbs, a genuine Southco Latch c3-805.
http://www.amazon.com/Southco-SC-4325-Side-Mount-Grabber-Catches/dp/B002I03LEM/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1413306610&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=Southco+Latch+c3-805
Price is $4.71 plus $9.21 for shipping as many as you want.
You can buy 3lb, 5 lb or 10 lb pull for the same price.

John

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2014, 11:50:28 am »
We have those latches on our 2007 2350.

We've broke four latches over the years.  Three were the hook on the door itself, one being the spring-loaded mechanism.

The doors rarely open on their own, usually when an article of clothing has draped over the opening a bit and the door is shut over it.  We keep much of our bulk stuff behind cabinet doors, but in plastic bins with straight-up sides and no handles so they'll never hit a door from the back side.

Reconfiguring our kitchen drawers to three huge ones made them very heavy, very easy to open on their own, even with 5 heavy duty magnetic catches per drawer.  I resorted to the secure button latches used in boats and other RVs.

Here are my kitchen drawer button latches.  They won't release until the button is popped out as seen in the bottom drawer.  They work great as long as you remember to push the button in before moving the rig.  :)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 11:58:37 am by ron.dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

TomHanlon

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2014, 12:42:53 pm »
    Ron, how about some pictures of the latch from inside the drawer so we can see how they work. Where did you get them from and at what cost.

I too am always replacing the spring part of the latches. I am starting to notice that if I tighten the screws holding the latch to the wall/cabinet they seem to work better and not break as often.

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2014, 01:41:03 pm »
Hi Tom & All,

The latches are easily found on the internet.  Google "RV Cabinet Push Button Latch" to find many for sale in various finishes and mechanical designs.  I selected ONE LIKE THIS for ease of installation with my drawers.  It requires a simple drilled hole in the drawer face.  The finishing trim ring is hammered into the hole of the drawer.  The main assembly/mechanism is screwed to the back side of the drawer face.  I used the "L" shaped drawer strike plate for my application.  Because the face boards of my three drawers are screwed to an inner drawer board, I had to notch the inner drawer boards to provide clearance for the latches.  Here you can see the inner drawer boards that were later notched to clear the latches.

Mine is pictured below.  Admittedly I was not impressed with the mechanical feel until after I doused the mechanisms with silicone spray which got them working smoothly.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 04:58:32 pm by ron.dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer