• PurchDate: June 2007
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
How To Determine If Your Ford Is "Keyless Entry" Ready
« on: October 18, 2012, 04:37:54 pm »
There are two methods to determine if your Ford was originally setup for Keyless Entry while it was being assembled on the Ford production line.

1) Electrically
2) Visually

#1 - Electrically
- Sit in the driver seat with all doors closed, and buckle your seat belt.
- Be sure everything is turned off, like the climate control, radio, head lights, etc.
- Put your key in the ignition and turn to the OFF position which is one click before the dash board warning lights all come on.
- Then in "Quick Succession", turn the key one click ON, then one click OFF, a total of eight times ending at the ON position.  Never turn the key so far as to crank over the engine.
- If the horn honks once, then you are "Keyless Entry Ready".  You only need to purchase key fobs and program them per your owners manual.
- If the horn does not honk, then you are not setup for Keyless Entry.

#2 - Visually (Do This If The Horn Doesn't Honk)
Visually inspect to see if the VSM (Vehicle Security Module) the keyless entry support module is installed under the dash board.
Open the passenger door and stay standing outside.
Lean into the passenger footwell with a flashlight and look above the right side kick panel for a module roughly 5" wide x 4" tall, screwed to the side wall with two screws, and many wires coming down from it.
If you have a blank space with two screw holes but no screws, then you do not have the module, therefore are not setup for Keyless Entry.

Unfortunately, the main wire harness for Keyless Entry is significantly different than without.  You cannot simply purchase a VSM module new or used, and plug-n-play.  There are not supporting connectors to work with.  If you really wanted Keyless Entry, you would have to resort to an aftermarket system like a Viper for example.

This data was given to me from a friend who is a Ford mechanic.  He was not certian of differences if any between model years which is why there are two methods of verification.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 04:39:55 pm by ron.dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

Sparky

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: 12/12
  • ModelYear: 2008
Re: How To Determine If Your Ford Is "Keyless Entry" Ready
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 09:20:24 am »
Ron
  good tips will check it out this morning. I had a Satellite radio installed by my radio shop, he told me they have an a sytem to wire directly into the locks that works the same for $115 and two fobs.. when I called a ford dealer they quoted me $499. for their system. Hmmmm... first thing is to see if I might already be set up then decide.  A local shop sales the fobs for $80
david sparks
2007 PC 2350
Houston, Texas

LRUCH

• Larry and the "Escape Pod"
    • View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: 08/2020
  • Model: 2900
  • ModelYear: 2010
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Maple
  • ExtColor: White/Sage
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2021, 11:32:59 pm »
I wish I had the keyless entry system. If I did I would install one of these key pads which mimics a keyfob after entering a pin code. That way I would have an easy and safe way to lock/unlock without carrying a key (like when parked at the beach!).

https://www.amazon.com/Factory-Genuine-Ford-Keyless-Actuator/dp/B00OTR3RUK/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=ford+keyless+entry+keypad&qid=1611721732&sprefix=Ford+keyless&sr=8-3
Larry

Not old & no Shih Tzu!   Take that RVTravel.Com!!!

captpatricia

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2021, 02:21:51 pm »
When we were at the plant July 2016 and no keyless entry i had a word with someone there and asked about a keyless since i had that with the Class A for the main door... and sure enough they would call someone to come program if i wanted to wait so we waited several hours till a "Ford" man arrived and he progammd and then we had 2 key fobs that would open or lock the front end doors the cost as i recall was $250.

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2021, 08:23:58 pm »
Hi captpatricia,

Back in 2007 when we bought our PC, it was not keyless entry ready.  I looked into adding OEM keyless entry but it involved too much in wiring, modules, and money.  Apparently your 2016 was "ready".

Ron Dittmer
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer