• PurchDate: June 2007
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
On-Vehicle Tire Repair
« on: July 12, 2012, 01:22:17 pm »
I shared this on another forum and thought I'd share it with my PC family.

I bought a tire repair kit that I hope never to use.  But if I get a clean flat like from a nail, I hope not to take the tire off the rig, making the repair on-vehicle by using the common sticky rope plugs.  I did such a tire repair once many years ago on my old motor home and it worked out beautifully.  But I didn't have a compressor with me in those days so I made the repair at a gas station and used their air pump.  Today with this kit I can do it anywhere, for myself or for a fellow camper in need.

This is the kit I bought at Walmart maybe 4 years ago.  They don't sell this exact kit any longer, but something very similar offered from the same "slime" company.  The pictures make it look real big, but it is a very compact, easy to store in a PC.

I hate using the liquid "slime" itself.  I removed it and tossed it.  I recommend using just the rope plug.  Once repaired, go to a tire shop and get it patched better via a "from the inside" patch for great long term reliability.  The rope patch from the outside works good, but done from the inside with an adhesive patch with-plug from that direction is better.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 10:16:27 am by Ron Dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

bigbadjc

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: February 2010
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2006
  • Slide: Yes
Re: On-Vehicle Tire Repair
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 03:33:44 pm »
Have I ever used one of these on a car?  Yes.  Did they work?  Yes.  Was that before virtually ever manufacturer of radial tires said don't do it?  Yes.  The following exerpt from Toyo pretty much sums up the view of almost all manufacturers.  Do we care what they think?  Do we care what an insurance company thinks if you are involved in a major wreck due to tire failure in a tire that has been repaired from the outside with a plug?  Bet your retirement fund you do.  Most of us who drive PC units have a spare on the back and probably a Good Sam Road Service membership.  Use them,  It's safer and less letigious.

Jerry

"If any tire has sustained a puncture, have the tire dismounted and inspected internally by an authorized
Toyo dealer for possible damage that may have occurred.
• ONLY SPECIALLY TRAINED PERSONNEL USING THE PROPER TOOLS AND PROCEDURES
SHOULD REPAIR TIRES.
• NEVER perform a tire repair without removing the tire from the rim/wheel assembly for internal
inspection. (DO NOT perform an outside-in tire repair or on-the-wheel repair). It is essential that
only a specially trained person remove any tire from the wheel when it has been damaged or is
losing air. A thorough inspection for any internal damage can then be made."

TomHanlon

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 04:39:56 pm »
I agree with jerry. Also if you use slime, please tell the next tire changer before they remove the tire . They can get hurt if you don't.

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • NewUsed: New
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 05:29:29 pm »
if you use slime, please tell the next tire changer before they remove the tire . They can get hurt if you don't.
Interesting Tom as to your reason why.  I did not hear of that.  I dismount/mount and balance tires on a regular basis, and make tire repairs as well but admittedly never dealt with a slime'd tire.  I wonder what the danger could be.

I should have stated in my intial post that I don't recommend using the slime itself as it is a short term repair, meant only to get you to a repair shop.

I am surprised of the "thumbs-down" replies for using a plug on a clean puncture.  The sticky rope plug leaves a nice firm well-bonded mushroom on the inside of the tire, much the same as with a from-the-inside repair.  But Jerry, the data from that "official" source is hard to argue against.   (WH)  Hands-on experience will always get nix'd by manufacture specs.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 05:44:27 pm by ron.dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

bigbadjc

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: February 2010
  • ModelYear: 2006
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 07:37:17 pm »
If by "slime" we mean the aerosol can that puts sticky goo into the tire that then gets forced into the leak and seals it, the danger is the aerosol propellant.  Most of the brands have traditionally used isobutane as the propellant.  It is extremely flammable.  Couple it up with a cigarette smoking grease monkey and you get a big boom when the bead breaks and the hydrocarbon/air mix ignites.

Jerry

PS:  I've used this too.  Some of them give you little orange warning stickers for the tires.

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 09:15:20 pm »
the danger is the aerosol propellant.
Got it!  Thanks.
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

billy

• Best Friends
    • View Profile
  • PurchDate: Feb, 6 2011. Same day Packers won super bowl
  • Model: 3100
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 09:37:51 pm »
I used a tire plug once, I felt the rig (not the pc) starting to pull. Yep, small, got everything ready, pulled the nail, used the first tool to ruff the hole, then stuck the plug in and volaaaa. Got to some air and when we changed rig it was still going strong. I've worked for Goodyear, Firestone and realize it's not the best but got my fat fanny off the freeway.  (WH)
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

TomHanlon

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2012, 08:25:31 am »
Ron, i am not saying don't use it, just let the tire changer know you did. I carry a big can of fix-a-flat just in case. Same issues as slime. I have only had two flats In the last 40 years. One shredded the tire and the other was on the PC because the valve ext. came losse. Niether one used the fix-a-flat. I hope I haven't just jinks myself.

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2012, 10:07:48 am »
I hear you Tom.  Fix-A-Flat, Slime, whatever.....once you carry it, then comes the flat tire.  Don't carry it and you won't get a flat. :)

Carrying a compressor that can handle our tires would be a very good idea for even the novice.  Many flats are slower leaks.  You could pump in 80psi (max as stated on tire) to get you to the nearest repair shop "who may plug your tire".  I just had to add that last 5 words in there.   :lol  Just trying to be funny here, but lame at it.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 10:09:58 am by ron.dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

VanillaGorilla

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: Jun-2012
  • Model: 2100
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2012, 03:17:02 pm »
Howdy...

Anyone have recommendations on a good, portable, appropriately-capable compressor?

Jim

Barry-Sue

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 10/17/11
  • ModelYear: 2012
  • IntColor: Cherry
  • ExtColor: Classic Umber
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2012, 07:07:21 pm »
Jim,

We carry a COLEMAN inflate-all 150.  My wife bought this about 30 years ago to carry in her car and it still works to this day.  It measures 10" x 6" x 3.5" all stored in its own case.  I had to use it on our last trip when one of my tire extensions failed.  Pulled out the air compressor and it worked great.  When looking for a small portable air compressor just make sure that the 12-volt cord is long enough to reach from the dash to the rear tires and has a high enough PSI rating to inflate your tires to a safe level.  Also great to fill bike tires or air mattresses.

Barry
Barry and Sue 
Current   2012 2551 w/Slide
Previous 2008 2350 w/Slide

Zorba

• View Profile
    • Zorba, "The Veiled Male"
  • OwnPC: No
  • Model: 2552
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2012, 05:27:47 pm »
My father and I both have plugged countless tires.

We have NEVER had a problem.

Only in America...

As for air compressors, consider a chassis mounted compressor with (small) tank. Onboard air is WONDERFUL. It just takes too long to inflate a truck tire with one of the little guys...
-Zorba
"The Veiled Male"
http://www.doubleveil.net

mciai2000

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 09/2011
  • ModelYear: 2012
  • IntColor: grey
  • ExtColor: full body night shadow
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2012, 09:52:18 pm »
We just returned from a three week trip out west.  On July 4th outside St Louis I had a flat tire. It was on the drivers side and was the inside dually. I noticed it at a rest stop.  I drove to the next exit and pulled into a Pilot.  When I pulled in, there was an a guy changing a tire on a tractor trailer.  I walked over to him and said If I take my spare off and I pay you cash will you change it after you are done?  A little while later I was on the road and 70 bucks lighter.  I think someone was looking out for me.  Turns out I had a nail in the tire. 3000 miles on the tire too...

I will tell you that getting the old tire on the back of the Cruiser is a pain and putting that cover on is not an easy task.  That cover looks pretty but the design on the locking mechanism needs some improvement.  It is hard to line up mechanism with the hole in the metal post to get it to lock on.  If Cruiser had some marks that lined up with arrows or something that would be an improvement.

Slime and a compressor would have worked, but it was 110 and this was a much easier solution.

DJM
family is a passion...work is a requirement
2012 2552 full body paint(Phoenix # 2)

Bob Mahon

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 6/2011
  • ModelYear: 2011
  • IntColor: Tan/Gray/Cherry
  • ExtColor: Lower Slate Gray
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2012, 10:08:25 pm »
I have a 'Slime' unit and although it takes a while, it's worked for me a few times.
However, I'd suggest you get a 10-foot 12 volt extension, cut the plug off it and install alligator clips to attach directly to the battery. Filling a tire from 0 to 80 psi takes long time. Using the dash receptacle the first time burned up the socket and blew the fuse (which isn't readily available).
Carry on, regardless..................
"In God we trust" to save our country and bring our troops safely home.

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2012, 09:44:25 am »
Using the dash receptacle the first time burned up the socket and blew the fuse
The kit I mentioned in the beginning of this thread, the pump has those alligator clips, a long cord, and a long coiled air hose, apparently having that in-mind.  Between the battery up front and the pair of batteries in-back, there is power close by as well.
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer